Plaxo Badge

Lorin

Lorin
Blog Page

About Me


Grew up in farm and ranch life about 70 miles west of Fort Worth, Texas near the small community of Perrin. Did undergraduate degree at Wayland Baptist University in Plainview, Texas (BA, 1964) and masters (MDiv, 1968) / doctorate (ThD, 1975) at Southwestern Baptist Seminary in Ft. Worth. Taught Koine Greek and New Testament at SWBTS 1974-1997. Then taught at Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, NC (1998-2008). Pastored the IBC Baptist Church in Cologne Germany (2008-2010) before retiring and moving to Santa Ana, Costa Rica, where Claire and I now live.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2017 Anticipations

2017 Anticipations

 At the end of December we face a new year. Never in my 75 years have I indulged in making resolutions for the coming year. Instead, an ongoing commitment to faithfully serve the Lord moment by moment has been my sole objective. Clearly now I am nearing the end of my earthly journey, and I am excited about the possibility of it happening during the 75th year of my earthly existence. I have felt for several decades that 75 years would bring to completion of the Lord's work through the ministry He gave me in the 1950s. 
.
As I look at what is happening and about to happen in the land of my birth, profound apprehension looms heavily before me. The insane election of an anti-Christ figure to lead the government of the US bodes nothing but exploding corruption, unbridled materialistic greed, and a narcissistic godlessness settling over the US like a poisonous smog. Perhaps the saddest part is the brain washed professing Christians who have become enslaved to this insanity, much like conservative Christianity was swept up into Nazism in the Germany of the 1920s and 30s by similar deceptive propaganda. 

The prospect of a trip to Heaven before enduring much of this chaos cheers my heart greatly. And even if that trip is delayed awhile, another alternative move is beginning come into place. And that is to Lake Chapala, Mexico. Before moving to Costa Rica in 2010, we were seriously considering a move to this expat center of over 100,000 US retirees. The standard of living there is higher than in the US but for about a third of the cost. Perhaps now, that will come to pass. It all depends on the Lord's leading in what He has in store for us.  
.
But wherever the Lord takes us in 2017, one thing is certain: we will remain unrelentingly true to our commitment to Christ. That means continual work on the BIC commentary series and expansion of cranfordville.com. And it also means passionate activism for biblical based values of righteousness, justice, and respect of all people.
.
So Claire and I step into 2017 with much uncertainty in the world around us and for what may happen during the year. But this is not the basis of our confidence for the future. The Lord alone will guide us and take us in His paths of service and ministry until our heavenly home going!
 

No comments: